How I changed my life, career and bank account by merely crossing the Hudson.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Change

Change is inevitable. No matter what we do everything changes around us. All those platitudes about time marching on, growing older and hopefully wiser seem to be true. For years I flew the SFO downtown layover. I loved the hotel and all aspects of it. I had my favorite Indian, Thai and Italian restaurants. The staff at the Starbucks on the corner knew my name and drink. I preferred the purser position but would fly  F/C or B/C galley (much to the reserve's surprise). Unfortunately staffing went from 6 to 5, layovers from 23 hours to 19hours and 56 minutes (20 hours and over requires a downtown layover on the S-UA side). My favorite hotel redecorated their rooms, the staff changed at Starbucks and the Crossover became a reality. Change was clearly due. I leaped at the chance to re-energize my flying career. I wanted new opportunities to make flying as exciting as it was 22 years ago. The Crossover made that dream a reality. I enjoy a varied flying experience with long and short layovers at my finger tips. Plus the added bonus of having my seniority is back to where it was 22 years ago! ;-) Surprisingly  enough I'm OK with that.
When my friends on the S-UA side ask how things are, they are generally asking about flying reserve, being at the bottom of the seniority list and my pay status. I can honestly say things are good. Just when I'm sick of waiting for scheduling to call a new month begins and I am able to pick up trips.  I'm enjoying new destinations and new friends. Best of all I actually have money in my pocket (except on those occasions when my daughter's college expenses rears it's ugly head). I'm paying my bills, saving for a rainy day, accruing a pension and looking forward to the time we have a merged contract.
Thanks Sam and thanks AFA for working it out and allowing all 119 of us to enjoy the perks of the Crossover Agreement. 

All photos and text are property of CrossChecked.

No comments:

Post a Comment